May is drawing to a close and summer is well and truly in the air. What better way to welcome the warmer weather than with some outdoor cooking this bank holiday weekend?
Who can resist that mouth-watering fragrance of barbecue smoke drifting gently in the air as delicious food sizzles over the hot coals, the sun’s golden rays reflecting in your glass of wine as you bask in the warmth?
There is really nothing better than tucking into some perfectly cooked barbecue food that’s coupled with just the right red or white. That’s why we have put together some of our favourite outdoor recipes, along with the wines and goodies that compliment them. We know you’ll find something you love!
Chili Lime BBQ Chicken
Chicken with a twist, this delicious dish is not only absolutely mouth-wateringly good, it’s also quick and easy, meaning you can get on with enjoying your long weekend.
Infused with the warmth of chili and the tang of lime, this recipe is sure to be a hit and if you fancy it with a drink or two, it pairs wonderfully with a nice Shiraz.
- 3-4 whole chicken breasts
- 2 limes
- 20g grated ginger
- 1 bunch of fresh chopped coriander
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped
- A small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 100ml olive oil
Method for the oh-so-delicious marinade
- Take one of the limes and grate the zest from it, putting it to one side (make sure to only use one lime to zest, otherwise you will end up with some very tangy chicken!)
- Juice both limes and combine with the chopped ginger, crushed garlic, olive oil, lime zest, chopped coriander and chili in a large bowl.
- If you want an extra kick, add some cayenne pepper to taste.
- Whisk the marinade until smooth and well blended together.
- Place the chicken breasts in a deep dish and pour the marinade over.
- Cover the chicken and leave it to marinade for 3 hours, letting the meat soak up those gorgeous flavours.
- After the 3 hours are up, you’re ready to get cooking! Make sure that the barbecue coals are white hot and place the chicken breasts on the barbeque. Let them cook for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- And the most important bit: pour a glass of red wine, sit down and tuck in!
Smokey Sausage Kebabs
Simple and quick, but undeniably tasty, these kebabs are a hit among kids and grown- ups alike! You can mix and match your flavours too, using whatever sausage you like. We love using caramelised onion and pork sausages as the smokey flavour from the barbecue compliments them perfectly.
Combining a traditional taste with a new twist, pair them with our Old & New World Duo for a true taste sensation. (Only for the adults!)
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes halved (As many as you want on your kebab!)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 small sausages – or if you want to use bigger ones, chop them into 3/4 inch slices
It’s super easy! Just chop everything into evenly sized pieces, thread them on the skewers and glaze them with some honey and olive oil. Sprinkle a little seasoning on them if you wish and pop them on the barbecue! Cook for 20 minutes (or longer if using larger chunks of sausage) turning frequently to stop the veggies from burning.
Summer Strawberry & Banana Smoothie
With June on the way, strawberry season is nearly upon us! Refreshing, healthy and mouth-wateringly tasty, this berrylicious smoothie is an instant hit for everybody.
It’s really easy to make, and can be tweaked to suit even the fussiest eater. To add the perfect companion to this tasty smoothie, why not enjoy with Chocolate Strawberry Crèmes from our Sweethearts Tower?
- 1 Punnet of ripe strawberries – use as many as you like, it all depends on how red you want your smoothie to be! You can use frozen strawberries instead if preferred.
- 1 Banana
- 11/2 scoop of vanilla ice-cream
- 4 tbsp Skimmed Milk – You can substitute this with almond milk if preferred.
Add the milk and ice-cream to the blender. Roughly chop the banana and strawberries and pop into the blender. Blend until smooth, adding more milk or ice-cream to taste. That’s it you’re ready to enjoy a beautiful smoothie with a milkshake taste.
We hope you try these recipes out and let us know how they turned out for you! Comment below and let us know some of your favourite summer recipes too. Even better, if you have used any ingredients from any of our hampers from something new, please tell us, we’d love to know!